Saturday, March 3, 2018

Using the Senses God Gave You #SOL18

Since I've started this writing adventure, I have been learning through the wisdom of others, as well as through a lot of trial and error.  One of the things I've had to relearn is how to use all of my senses.  I'm in the editing stages of story, and I've found that I get so intent on relaying a scene through dialog and action that my characters have no grounding in the world around them. As readers, we want to see, hear, touch, taste, smell, and experience through the characters we come to love.

I've had to learn to make my characters stop and smell the roses, to feel the texture of the stone front on a hundred-year-old building, to hear the tremble in another person's voice. Do you know what that's made me do? You guessed it. I've had to slow down and take in the world around me.  I think we can get so busy in today's society, we miss opportunities to enjoy God's beauty around us and chances to allow God to bless others through us.

While I plan to spend some time grounding my characters today, I also plan to slow down and take in what's happening around me. I want to enjoy the journey, rather than trying to race to the finish line.


I challenge you to use all of your senses today! Stop for a minute and take it in. Enjoy the day. I'd love to hear about it, and you might just help me with my editing, too!


For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.
Colossians 1:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey There,
Welcome to the Brush and Plume! What is on your mind?